Thursday 11 March 2010

Why now?

OK. I need to set the scene first. I've not always been an armchair fan. I did have a season ticket for a number of years. I went to as many games as I could before I got my season ticket. I only gave up my season ticket during my extended period of unemployment and after that circumstances change and life is easier when watching from home.

Yes I miss the atmosphere of being at the game. I miss joining in the singing and chanting and I miss the tribal feelings of togetherness. I don't miss the queueing, i don't miss the journey home listening to the inane comments of inexperienced supporters who had obviously been to a different game than I had witnessed although listening to the enthusiastic chattering of an excited schoolboy who had been to his first game with his dad always puts a smile on my face.

I can still remember my first experience of a first team game at Anfield. It was a winters evening, New Years Day 1976. I was with my uncle and that wonder as we went up the Kemlyn Road steps out into the floodlit stadium still remains with me to this day. We did win that day, beating Sunderland 2-0. But then we won most of the time then and we were on the way to claiming another league title, confirmed at a memorable game at Molineaux later that year.

I don't go to the match very often now. In fact I can be seen more often at non league games than at Premiership games. Am I any less of a fan than the stalwart that travels to Romania to ensure that they never miss a minute of any game? Some will argue that I am not a true fan. I don't contribute financially to Liverpool. While this is factually inaccurate (You should see my wardrobe. There is very little in there that wasn't bought from the various official club stores)I can understand the opinion that if you don't go you don't really love the team.

While I don't have a vast wealth to donate to the cause, I have invested a great deal of emotional effort into the club and can honestly say that my mood can be directly affected by the goings on on a patch of grass miles away from where I am.

So why start blogging on Liverpool FC now? Well after almost 40 years of partnership between The Reds and myself, I feel the need for a bit of marriage guidance counselling and hopefully you will be that sounding board that will keep us together.

I have just watched our team being beaten in an inferior European competition. The fact that we are in that competition at all worries me, that we struggle in it is galling to me.

No individual is bigger than the club and I will expand on my feelings on this in future posts. For now I feel better just for introducing myself to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment