Thursday 22 April 2010

Pride

So after tonight's performance we are still no nearer from knowing who will contest the Europa League Final in Hamburg next month.

A fortuitous goal is all that separated Athletico and Liverpool tonight. It was one of those games where, if I was a neutral I would have switched to the leaders debate (yes, i thought it was that sterile). Yet there were flashes of inspiration from both teams and some really good football splattered randomly amongst the misplaced passes, poor tackles and wayward shooting.

After the arduous journey that the Reds had to undertake to reach the Spanish capital for tonight's game, the start we made was hardly surprising. Yet we came back after the first twenty minutes and a draw was probably the fairest result.

A 1-0 loss isn't a disaster. I would have preferred a 2-1  or 3-2 loss but going into the Anfield return just one goal behind means that we have to take the initiative and I believe we play better when we are more positive in the beginning of games. Just a bit worried that without Fernando Torres, we might not have the fire power to turn it round, but we have scored goals without him this season, and our record at home this season is quite impressive.

I still feel that we will be taking a trip to Germany next month. And hopefully another European trophy will enter the cabinet this season.

On a post script note, it was my birthday at the weekend and I was lucky enough to have the legend that is George Sephton to come to my birthday meal. I am both, bragging and expressing my gratitude to George. He is an incredibly interesting person and if you ever get the chance to attend any of the functions that he is speaking at I would urge you to do so. And if you are arranging a sportsman's dinner or other such function, consider asking him to speak to your guests.

And don't forget my free tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment